Wednesday 25 November 2009

First impressions


An important part of this project is to gather my impressions from the very first. On first arriving in Manila, I was immediately drawn to thinking of comparisons with India and Mexico. The Philippines seem a whole lot less confusing on first impression, which may have been a reflection on arriving on a Sunday. Very little traffic, less people milling around the airport than I've seen at other major international airports. Everything seems clean and organised. It's hot, but a lot less humid than I was expecting, which makes the climate bearable.

No photographs at the airport - not something I've ever done. I get in and all I want to do is complete the journey and get to where I'm staying.


It also makes me realise how important time of day and jet lag can impact first impressions. I remember arriving in Mexico in the middle of the night after a long, long trip. Delhi was crazy hot and humid, busy, noisy, smelly. Manila was a pleasure by comparison.

Whisked along the main highway south to the commercial centre of Muntinlupa, to a nice hotel, gave me little time to see the real Manila.


No comments:

Post a Comment